Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Rosecliff Cottage

Rosecliff Cottage in Boothbay Harbor, Maine, is a cottage I have long admired.

A 1920's Gothic Revival cottage, it was owned by interior designer Cornelia Smithwick when I first came upon it a few years ago.  I believe it has since been sold.

The cottage began as a fisherman's shack and was added onto over the years.  However, once the Smithwick's took over the cottage (around 2000) they added the front veranda and surrounded the property with rugosa roses, lilacs, peonies and other cottage garden flowers. The front of the house faces the Atlantic ocean and the back yard was developed into a beautiful meandering path.

As their retirement home, Cornelia put her 30 years of design experience to work and filled the cottage with floral fabrics, lightening and brightening each room.  Surrounded by her favorite comforts and collections, it became their little haven by the sea.

Just love its charm!














This was the room that I fell in love with in a magazine 
(which I had to scan - hence, the faded look -
 it's really bright and cheerful in the magazine!)












3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderland! I can imagine having all three meals on the veranda/porch. I LOVE looking at the water and there are wonderful views to observe it. The roses are to die for, I would enjoy smelling them. TFS the treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog, Kay! Am always excited to see what gems you've found. Thanks for brightening my mornings ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cottage.....would be such a dream to have a place like this.

    ReplyDelete